Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to make vegetable broth...

... because it's really ridiculously simple.

1) Save vegetable scraps.  Freeze them if you need to!  (I did...)  I used bits of potato, carrot tops, onion skins, zucchini tops, bits of brocolli stalks, garlic tops and skins, and probably some other things that I'm not remembering.  I also tossed in some fresh oregano that I have growing, and I added some pepper and a couple of bay leaves.  You can look up other vegetables to see if they go in broth if you are uncertain.  The only thing that I know you don't want to add is leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, and kale.

2) When your bag is full, get ready for broth time!  Defrost your veggies and throw them in a stock pot then add some cold water.  (Apparently, it's somehow better if you start with cold water.  Vegetable magic, I'm sure.)  Theoretically you are supposed to have about one parts water to one part vegetable matter.  I'm pretty sure you'll be OK as long as you have a decent amount of vegetable matter.

Nom nom nom... Looks delish!

3) Now turn up the heat, and get this pot of goodness simmering!  You don't really want it to boil, but you do want it to simmer.  Once it's simmering, put it on a heat that will keep it simmering, and let it go for at least an hour!  I stirred mine every once in awhile, but that might not be totally necessary... I might have just wanted to admire my broth.

4) After around an hour, your kitchen probably smells great, and your broth is also probably done.  It's time to strain out the squishy plant matter and save the broth.  Remember, this isn't pasta... you want to save the liquid and get rid of the solid stuff!  (I only say this because this part of the process felt incredibly backward to the pasta-eater in me.)  Set your strainer in a bowl or another pot, and pour your liquid in.

It looks delicious and nutritious!

5) Let your broth cool off, and then store it in containers to freeze or use.  I used some cottage cheese containers that I've collected over the year.

My almost full gallon bag of veggies gave me about 12 cups of broth, I think.  I already used two cups when making rice yesterday, and it added a nice flavor (and probably some nutrients!).

So there you have it!  A very inexpensive, resourceful way to have some broth around.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com