Saturday, May 12, 2012

Quilted Placemat

I wanted to make some placemats to go with our new-to-us "big-people table", so I did an internet search for inspiration and found this.  It really is very simple.  I started with a square, and then I sewed fabric to one edge, and then cut it.  I continued in a spiral until I made it as big as I needed it.  To save fabric (and time), I kept track of how big it needed to be and started only making the corners bigger once I got to that point.  (You can see how each corner has a few strips that are isolated from other corners.)  One it was big enough, I used my rotary cutter to cut it to the proper size, cut a piece of fabric for the backing (white fabric from a sheet that I used for another project), did a little quilting, and then did the binding.

I want to make a few more like this but with different color schemes, and then I might do a few with just vertical stripes.  I'll hopefully make more time for sewing once it gets blistering hot in the summer and it's too warm to do anything but sit in front of the sewing machine.  Haha!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning placemat! I'm going to try to make some!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com