Friday, June 10, 2011

Call me a hippie...

... because I've got me some Birkenstocks!
About these shoes... My black sandals that I've worn the last few years are about to fall apart any minute.  I wanted to buy good quality shoes that I can wear with jeans, shorts, skirts and dresses.  I'm trying to do better about the excess in my wardrobe and collection of shoes.  While these shoes aren't the standard "dress sandals", they will work for me.  Also, I have only heard good things about the quality of Birkenstocks which makes me really happy.  From what I've read about the company, they also tend to be fairly conscious of the environment and minimizing waste.  Yay!

That all being said, let's return to the title, "Call me a hippie..."  A few times in the last year we've had people incredulously asking us, "You're not becoming a hippie, are you?"  Golly gee!  If caring about our planet, rejecting materialism, becoming passionate about social issues, and changing your lifestyle to reflect these values makes you a hippie, then yes, we will happily be hippies!  Reusable-bag-toting, tofu-eating, co-op-owning, waste-avoiding, tree-hugging, birkies-wearing hippies!

There.  It's off my chest. :)
Peace.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Cute shoes!!! A bit more fancy then the typical berkie look. I had a great pair that I wore for two summers until they got wet and ruined. Linda found them in the Cancha in Bolivia for me. They were too cold for winter, however.
My mom always says she knows she's in Eugene when she sees people wearing Berkies with socks.
If you need some tie dye, I know a gal who does a great job...:)to complete the hippie look.

Karen said...

Yeah! I liked this style because it seems like they can be worn with casual and dressy clothes. :)

Hahahaha... One of my friends in Corvallis wears hers with socks (and she's from Philomath, not Eugene!) Maybe I'll help bring the fashion here. I've never been known for my fashion tastes anyway, so what do I have to lose?!

Thanks for the tie dye recommendation! I tend to swear by Goodwill for clothes shopping, but if I ever want to branch out to locally-made-clothes, I'll let you know!

Noella said...

Karen, we should do a tie-dye craft! We could tie-dye socks to go with the birks! I had a pair for years and years when I was a kid, I think they lasted until I was playing in a river and one floated away...

Karen said...

Heehee... tie-dyed socks do sound like fun. :)

That's a very whimsical way to lose a birkenstock...!

caretaker82 said...

Hippie!

j/k

~Brian

Karen said...

Brian...! ;)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com