Saturday, October 15, 2011

Winter Squash

Today's post is brought to you buy nutritious, delicious winter squash.   There they are.  In a cabinet.  Most of these came from a Farmers' Market trip today.  The person at the cashier was impressed as we kept pulling squash out of our bags.

What's cool about these guys is that they stay good for quite awhile.  I've had a butternut sit around on my counters for a couple months with no problems.  I have read that optimally they should be stored in 50-60 degree temperatures, and then they can last 2-6 months (depending on the type of squash).   We keep it below 70 in here all the time, and in our last place it usually was in the low 60s during the winter (sans heaters).  I'm not sure about what will happen in our new place, but I'm guessing it will be about the same?  If I need to, I can make room for these in the outside shed.  And I will be using them as we go.  And I will keep tabs on them.  And I have a freezer I can store cooked squash in if things somehow spin out of control.

Mmmm... squash.  It's exciting stuff that's fun to load up on from local farmers, but it's worth knowing how to take care of your produce investment...  Happy Autumn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com