Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall is in the air (and the food)

I love this time of year.  I love the colors on the trees, the rain, the frost, and the nippy mornings.  With the coming of fall, our diet changes as summer fruits and vegetables go out of season.

One of my favorite fall treats is slow cooker spiced apples.  I just cut up a bunch of apples into thin slices and toss them into the slow cooker with some cinnamon (and sometimes some nutmeg, too).  Just cook on low until the apples reach the consistency you desire.  I usually eat these with my oatmeal, but they are wonderful plain, too.  I will probably raise my young children to believe that these are dessert.

Here's some other food.

Vegetarian shepherd's pie.  REALLY GOOD.  Recipe here.
  I mostly followed the recipe, I think.  I did add carrots, though

Chard.  Looks like Christmas, no?  I think I prefer kale to chard.
This bread is stinking amazing.  I don't have white flour so I
 used half whole wheat flour and half whole wheat pastry flour.
The bread has great texture and great crust.  It's a little salty for
our tastes, so I'm going to add less salt next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com