Friday, January 14, 2011

God is in the Everyday: Prayer

I'm going to use this post to talk about my experiences with prayer. I have had some pretty discouraging experiences with this, and I have felt guilt and negative pressure about prayer, so I hope that this will help encourage some people who perhaps have felt similarly.

During high school, I made a conscious decision to live a life of faith in God. At the time, part of my understanding was that there were a few things that I was supposed to do to be a good Christian. Perhaps the biggest "requirement" was that I was supposed to "have God-time daily" which included "reading the Bible and praying," and as a result I could expect to have a "spiritual experience." Some of my friends and I regularly discussed how we were doing on this goal. There were also unspoken bonus points for 1) spending a certain LONG time with God (an hour would certainly win points), 2) getting up early in the morning to spend time with God, 3) being moved to tears.

As I look back and read what I just wrote, I realize it sounds like we weren't being genuine and honest with ourselves. That is probably true (at least about me), and I'm sure that it made me/us less effective and satisfied. However, I believe that most of my friends and I were legitimately trying to do what was right.

In college, I continued to try to do the spiritual things I thought were requirements for the good Christian college freshman. Finding a church, finding a Bible study, still "having daily God-time," etc. Naturally, this still included trying to be a good at praying. I felt like I needed to daily spend a long single period in silent discussion with God. What this lead to was an intense amount of guilt because I found the my mind often just wandered. If not that, then I often felt guilty if I missed a day or two.

It got to the point that a few years ago I just gave up trying to spend that lengthy time praying. I was so frustrated and guilt-ridden that I couldn't do it anymore. I was trying my best to "be a good Christian," and I seriously felt like I was a failure.

This brings us to recent times and to why this is in the God is in the Everyday series. As I think I have made clear, in the past year I have felt closer in relationship with God than I have in years. However, I still don't regularly sit or lie down and pray for a long period of time.

What works for me right now primarily is sincerely praying to God throughout the day. When I am thankful, worried, upset, happy, or excited, I send my message to God. When someone around me is hurting, I ask for peace. When I am feeling impatient, I ask for patience. I also listen. I don't claim to have ever heard God saying a sentence to me, but I do think I receive patience, encouragement, love, and many other things. I also use mealtimes and bedtime as a time in the day to just "check in."

I am not saying that I don't think that there's never a time for longer prayers or that there is anything wrong with them. I just have personally found that they work best for me on specific occasions and not as a strictly-scheduled tool.

In summary, I think it is a huge blessing to have a God by our side every moment of every day. Just like with Matthew, I enjoy sharing pieces of information, gratitude, and emotion with God throughout the day, and I also enjoy a longer conversation when appropriate. Just like with Matthew, I feel like my relationship with God should take tending and care, but it shouldn't be forced. With this attitude, I feel like I can have a real, solid, healthy relationship, which is what I have wanted the whole time.






4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow. =]
I could not agree more. I have found that a similar strategy works best for me as well. With my ADD long times of extended prayer are near impossible (lol) so truly that is the only way I can have a true relationship with Him.
I still do struggle with reading my Bible consistently, because I haven't found a way to work it in gradually without losing the context of the verses I might read.
As for the part about expectations etc., I'm totally with you. Spending time with God should be just that, spending time with God. It should not be a religious chore or a points-system, because God loves us all the same no matter where we are in our walk with Him. He will reward the "last worker in the vineyard" the same as the first.
I have read and reread a book several times that goes much along with what you are saying. It's called "Captivating", by John & Stasi Eldridge. I think you would much enjoy it. =]

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Kimberly. I will consider checking out your book next time I visit the library.

elfarmy17 said...

I don't believe in a God, but I really enjoyed this post.
I think that your constant awareness of the God in your life is a great example of really living a religious life, instead of going to church Sundays and Bible study Wednesdays and ignoring your spirituality the rest of the time.
So kudos to you. :)

Karen said...

Elfarmy: Thank you for commenting! Your words encourage me, and I appreciate that you took the time to write them.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com