Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Props to Parents

I have to give props to my parents because without them I wouldn't exist.  However, I think they're especially cool because they still are my parents even though I'm twenty-three years old.  As I get older, I realize that I can rely on my mom and dad to care about me and always be interested in what is happening in my life.  In a world of busy people with clashing opinions, it is nice to have the security of people who just love you.  Period.

I don't want this post to be too idealistic because my relationship with my parents is real.  There were times when I was growing up that we got mad at each other and I thought that they were trying to make me miserable. I'm sure there were times where they looked at me and wondered what in the world was wrong with me, too.  I think that a lot of the time perhaps we did not communicate as well as we could have, and I think that we caused each other hard times as a result.

That all being said, it's nice to be able to look back and see my parents as people and not just parents.  I now understand their actions better now that I'm old enough to understand that they experience life's stresses, pains, and joys as I do.

My dad is an interesting person who enjoys discussing what's going on in life and what's happening in the world.  He likes big ideas, and he is very good at carrying out thoughtful discussions.  He is thoughtful, and I recognize that he taught me very well about being considerate of other's needs.  My mom is one of the sweetest, most patient people that I know, and she deserves a special reward for putting up with "teenage-Karen."  I think mom needs to speak up more because she has useful things to say, but she still has managed to teach me by just being her quiet self.

Twenty-three years is a long relationship, and I appreciate all of the good they have done for me, and I forgive them for any imperfections as well. :)  

Thanks for doing your best at parenthood!  I miss you when you're out-of-state, and I love you!

1 comments:

dad said...

oh karen! i love you!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com