Thursday, November 19, 2009

I don't get the joke...

I've heard in a few places about an email being spread around talking about a bumper sticker some people have these days. Here is an excerpt from the email:
"a car in front of us had an Obama bumper sticker on it. It read: "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8". Mike's Bible was lying on the dash board. He got it, opened it up to the scripture, and read it. He started laughing and laughing. Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; and let another take his leadership.'"
I am trying to understand why this is so funny and why it's being spread around. The only way I can see it as potentially amusing is if people are simply saying that they want Obama to not get re-elected. Unfortunately, this just means that the scripture is extremely ill-used. My first impression, which I believe is supported if you read the following verse (Psalm 109:9 says “Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.”), is that people want Obama to die. Fortunately, I doubt that most people sporting this bumper sticker are wishing this upon the Obamas. Unfortunately, I don't think that the people spreading the idea of praying Psalm 109:8 are considering the murderous sounding context of the entire Psalm.

Be careful with what you say! There really are churches out there praying for Obama to die, whether by natural causes or by assassination! They are on the news spewing their hatred. By associating yourself the Psalm 109:8 prayer and saying it is good or funny, you could be aligned with their hatred. Is that what you want?

I don't care if you agree with Obama's policies or not, but I think the whole idea that he's a very evil president who is going to completely corrupt and destroy our country is very far-fetched. Please disagree with policies without being filled with hatred toward the person! Be wary of bias in the media stirring fear and hatred. Remember that if you want to get rid of evil in the world, it's far more effective to fight it with love and goodness instead of more hatred and anger.

We should always be asking ourselves: Is what I'm doing truly a good thing? Will what I'm doing help or hurt my ultimate cause? How will people interpret what I am saying/doing? Am I viewing a "cause" or "morality issue" as more important than people?

1 comments:

K said...

Great post. Misuse of God's word and not supporting God-ordained leaders are two big no-nos here.
This is Diana, btw.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com