Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Those People"

Something I've been thinking about lately is the idea of labeling people. In psychology last year, we talked about how labeling people creates a feeling of "us" and "them." I think that anybody can relate to this idea (sports teams, school rivalries, cliques, etc.) I also think that creating groups can be good because it creates common ground to build strong relationships. However, it also can cause people to become arrogant and self-righteous.

One place that I think that this idea of "those people" is becoming more and more evident today is, unfortunately, within the church. Generally, there has been the notion of "the sinners" for ages. From what I can see, this is a label used primarily by those either genuinely seeking absolute morality or just those who use their societal status of "moral" as an excuse to demean others. We are commonly told that it was the cheating tax collectors, the "loose" women, or the general "Gentile sinner" who were viewed as the lesser, lower people of the time in Jesus' day. These people were avoided (and perhaps feared?) by many who were claiming to live by God's word.

From what we know, Jesus didn't put up with the nonsense that was occurring. While I definitely don't think he encouraged people to do wrong ever, I think that he saw all humans as having potential but being imperfect. Instead of excluding, he included, and by loving people he changed their lives. It wasn't by trying to convince them that they were bad people, but it was by showing them what was good so that they wanted it.

Today, I feel like we again have select groups of "sinners" that are looked down upon. I think that it is most often the case when it comes to controversial issues. Homosexuals, people who support abortion, people who are "too liberal"... These labels are used to look down on people. People spend a lot of time fighting for these issues politically, and many people become vehement and perhaps hateful. Some people simply radiate a distaste for certain people when they talk about them.

But why? What makes these people any worse than anybody else? The answer: nothing. We have no right to judge.

What should we do? What we should always do. Love people. I think that the reason God dislikes sin isn't because he's worried about labeling us or ranking us from good to bad. I think he wants what's best for all humans, and when we hurt ourselves or each other, it hurts Him and our relationship with Him and others. Most people realize they aren't perfect; that's not the problem. I just think we need to be more like Jesus and simply love people without worrying about what that makes us look like.

God works in people's spirits. Let him guide people on their paths. When was the last time you saw an argument about moral issues change somebody's mind? That's not your job. Just love them so that they can see God.



(As a note: It's "funny" because I think that I struggle with this same issue in a different manner. I find it difficult to love the people that go on protests with signs that say "God hates gays" or people who think they can decide who's a worse sinner. I too have to realize that, from my point of view, these people are wrong, but I can't judge them or find myself to be better than them! Otherwise, I have reinforced the idea of labeling and putting myself of a pedestal above them. Exactly what I don't want...)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont appreciate the (god hates gays) because of personal anxieties: since they see that publicly and label me as someone whom hates gays. which worries me about what others think when they find out I'm a person of christian beliefs, also stupid terms (like bible thumper) and what not. so labels in general are not the greatest thing. although it is useful when identifying someone and some actions they may make due to their mental disorder or what not. like knowing someone is manic depressive helps me to except them more and look past some of their actions, although it makes me think to the "severity" of their condition making me feel much more empathy and stress upon myself than what the real issue is. (excuse my love of periods and whatother gramatical errors)

Kenny said...

In some sense, one should be proud label oneself a sinner. It seems fairly clear that, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Yet, according to most interpretations, God freely forgives those who acknowledge and repent of their sins. Thus, although we must do our best to avoid sinning, part of that includes realizing that we have, are, and will fail/ed/ing. What a cheery outlook.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com