Sunday, April 10, 2011

My "one-a-day" challenge

There is something about the ground near a college campus.  It must be screaming, "Throw things on me!" at a frequency that only the college student's subconscious can hear because students certainly are good at obliging.  Actually, that's probably not it at all.  Really, I think that people around here just tend to be careless.  Or drunk.  Or both simultaneously.

The thing is, when I see garbage or recyclables on the ground, I feel like I should pick them up so that they don't end up going down the sewer and ending up in the waterways.  That becomes a monumental challenge when there is a monumental amount of garbage on the ground.  I do want to do something to help the problem, but I can't allow myself to take on all of the world's issues by myself or I will probably ending up balled up in the corners with tears running down my cheeks.    Enter in the one-a-day challenge.  I decided to make it my goal to pick up one piece of garbage each day I'm out and about (which is about six days a week).  Plastic is given priority since it's hard for me to see a piece of plastic on the street without imagining an albatross eating it and dying as a result.  Also, I don't want you to believe that it's challenging for me to find a piece of garbage each day.  I sometimes even pick up more than one piece of trash, but the challenge is to do something and not feel like I'm failing for not doing everything.

Would you like to join my challenge?  Or do you have another challenge that you have given yourself?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Working in a school, I pick up lots of trash, but I will agree to join in your challenge picking up at least one piece of trash I see outside, probably on the playground!

Kenny said...

I may join you, but the icky-nasty factor of much litter disinclines me to handle it. One practice I have had since high-school is that, if I am willing to get my hands dirty to pick up a piece of change lying on the ground (ie lost dimes and nickels) then I must also throw away a piece of litter. As a consequence, I never pick up discarded pennies, just not worth the filth ;)

Karen said...

@Mandy: That's a good opportunity! Plus, maybe you can help kids learn about litter... ? :)

@Kenny: Hahaha. I remembered that about you, and I think about you each time I pick up coins on the ground. ;) If you want, you can just pick up the less icky stuff. Candy/chip wrappers and pop bottles and the like. The challenge can have different rules for different people!

Kenny said...

Huh, I didn't think I had told people about my habit before this... how did you know this? Also, I "totally" agree that food trash is "definitely" less icky.

Karen said...

You told me. I don't know when... It was awhile ago.
You're funny. Well, if you think that a pop bottle or a nice dry chip wrapper is disgusting, you'll just have to find your own challenge! At least you don't put your own waste in the wrong place, so you are still being responsible for yourself... I assume... ;)

Kenny said...

Well, I am guilty of throwing away an appalling amount of recyclable material since I've moved to Michigan, because there are not local residential recycling options :( But it doesn't end up on the ground (outside of my apartment at least ;), in here is another story).

Karen said...

Come on, East Lansing! It's time to make recycling pickup as easy for residents as garbage pickup! I know you can do it! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com