Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I get to wait for the bus...

Yet another reason to adore Corvallis: They just made bus service free. They created a citywide fee to pay for it, and for just a couple of dollars per family a month, anybody can ride the bus anytime. How cool is that?

Public transportation is pretty sweet. It can be very fuel and energy efficient, and I think it can save people time (when a good system is in place and utilized) because it certainly could reduce the amount of traffic on the road. The only problem is that our country is kind of slow compared to other developed countries. We seem to think that it is our right to drive around our personal vehicles without a thought to the consequences for our environment and our wallets. (You may think that gas prices are high now, but did you realize that additionally our government heavily subsidizes the oil? You're paying even more than you think.) We seem to be pretty convinced that our own convenience should be our number priority.

I admit it certainly isn't always convenient. I've had to wait for a bus for over 30 minutes on the rarest occasion when it is that late during the evening rush hour. I could have driven our own car or walked in that amount of time. But I stood there stubbornly. Why? Because I get to wait for a bus. It is a privilege to be able to be part of something bigger and better. Because if more of us support our bus system and use it, the stronger and more reliable it will become. Because our children and grandchildren are more valuable than my convenience.

Do you get to wait for a bus?

4 comments:

Kenny said...

Nope, I have been a combination of, too lazy to go far away places, and, trying to get healthy so walking close places, with an added dash of, don't want to pay $1.20 just for a two way trip, so I actually haven't been riding the city buses recently. My last bus trip may actually have been back from the Detroit airport. But, if bus rides were free and not horribly crowded, two things I very much miss about the Corvallis bus system, I would be out riding the bus for recreation. Now that I don't need to lie about being an OSU student to get a bus ride, maybe I'll start riding the Corvallis bus again...

Karen said...

I actually thought of you when I found out the bus was free for everybody. :P

Maybe you should suggest to MSU that they do something like OSU does and help support the bus system so that students can ride for free? I know Michigan likes its cars, but maybe it's worth a shot...?

Also, I'm glad that you are walking a lot. That's another great alternative, but for people who aren't lazy and want to go places more often but don't always have time to walk... bus! :D

Kenny said...

Well, students receive reduced bus fares, the hoi polloi are charged $1.25 each way :( On the other hand, I was talking with my office-mate, and he says that in Europe bus fares are generally much higher than in the US, probably due to the subsidy of gasoline that we have. So, that is something about which to think.

Karen said...

Ah, I see.

I'm not surprised that the fares are higher in Europe. I'm sure that driving your own car in Europe is also probably "more expensive" (at the gas station, at least.) Subsidies are really weird. It really hides the actual costs of things.

Walking, biking, and/or alternative energy, anybody?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com