Friday, January 6, 2012

Karen's Creed of 2012

As I consider the last year or two, I realize that I have learned a ridiculous amount about our world, and I have been madly working to change my life in light of my discoveries.  As we start a new year, I think I want to just write a post that summarizes where I am at this point in time.  Obligatory Note:  My goal isn't to convince you that my beliefs are right and yours are wrong.

I do believe that my primary purpose on this planet is my spirituality which first involves how I relate to God and second involves how I relate to other humans.  I believe that God loves all people and all creation, and I believe that He sent Jesus to our little planet to show how much He loves us.  I believe Jesus was a great man giving a wonderful example of how to treat people, and I also believe that Jesus was and is God with us.  I believe that God miraculously and mysteriously invites all of us into a fulfilling relationship with Him through Jesus.  (I also believe that I don't understand fully how this works or why it works this way!)  I believe that it is important for me to have this relationship with God so that we can use His infinite love and power to decrease world suck levels because it's just so hard to do it on my own.  I believe that the Kingdom of God is here, and I can bring it to people if I love them with God's love.

I believe that I am called to respect and love those around me when they don't agree with my opinionated self!  I am grateful that I am allowed to speak freely, but I believe that God makes me responsible to pour out love and grace generously on those in my life, not to generate a list of people that I make it my project to "save".

I believe that through God I am motivated to be a positive force in the world.  I believe that my life is not my own but God's and others', and as a result I work to decrease the amount of time I spend striving to bring about my own gain.  However, I believe that there is a lot of joy in decreasing the amount of time I spend focusing on myself.  There are also challenges, fun times, friendships, fulfilling moments, and painful moments along the road.

I regretfully believe that I live in an overly selfish, self-absorbed culture that focuses on current gains over future losses.  As such, I work to put my life in order so that the way I live does not harm future generations.  Sometimes I fail, but I find joy in the changes in my life.

I believe that I live in a fast-paced culture that is too busy to eat nourishing foods, spend time with family and friends, and relax.  As such, I work to put my life in order so that I have time to live fully.

I believe that I am called to fight for our wonderful planet.  I believe Earth was a gift from God that we are supposed to care for so that it can continue to provide for us and delight us.  I believe that we have gotten off-track and out-of-control.  I believe in promoting inner peace and gratitude instead of materialism.  I believe in promoting sustainable agriculture and consumerism practices.  I believe that humans are happier when there is balance.

I believe that I am called to fight for social justice.  I feel strongly about my actions matching my words, so I research products and do my best to buy products that were not made by underpaid, overworked workers in dangerous conditions.

I believe that my life, family, friends, job status, and finances are all gifts from God.  As such, I am humbled because I know that we are blessed.  Instead of searching for material wealth in my life, I hope that I can successfully invest my time and finances back into the world to bring good changes.

I believe that every decision I make affect others both now and in the future.  As such, I try to make wise decisions.

I believe in giving grace as we all stumble about on this confusing and often seemingly cold planet.

I believe in receiving grace from God even as I regularly fail to give it.

As I go into 2012, I pray for a year of positive change!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com