Saturday, September 3, 2011

Canning tomatoes!

I canned for the first time today!!!  How exciting!  I canned tomatoes because we use crushed tomatoes fairly often, and I found a u-pick place in Corvallis.  Its website is here if you're in the Corvallis area and interested in getting some tomatoes.  We got about 58 pounds for $35, and it was really fun!  The tomato plants just sprawl on the ground, so it's like an Easter egg hunt when looking for the ripe, red tomatoes.  If you are interested in canning, I recommend the Tattler canning lids that we got because they are reusable and BPA free.  Anyway, I'm just kind of exciting about canning the first time.  It's really cool to pick our own food at a local farm and then store it away so that we can eat it over the winter.

Enjoy the pictures!

58 pounds of tomatoes

Part of my fleet of canning jars.  I only used 14 today.

Making a mess...

It's a pumpkin tomato!

Simmering away...

The 14 quarts of deliciousness...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com