Wednesday, December 22, 2010

God is in the Everyday: The Kitchen

I like to make food. It started in high school when I set out on the noble journey of creating "the best chocolate chip cookie." No more flat, greasy cookies that were the result of following the recipe on the chocolate chip bag for me, thanks. In case you're curious, I have settled into a variation that is my own. Are they the best? Well, that just depends on who you ask. :)

God made us into incredible food eaters. It is something most of us typically do at least three times a day. Food is something that satisfies and nourishes, and I think that God made us with the capacity to enjoy eating.

I like making food because it is downright important. What we eat affects how healthy we are. It also affects our mood and our energy level. Our food is what makes us the physical being that we are. This is why I like to make our food from scratch as much as possible. I like to know what we are eating, and I like the ingredients to be fresh and simple.

I also like making food because homemade food tastes amazing. I dabbled with bread making a couple years ago, and there came a point when there was no turning back: I really didn't want to buy bread anymore. There's something to be said about the flavor and substance of home-cooked food made with fresh ingredients.

It is when kneading bread dough that I am most reminded of the magic in making food. I hold in my hands that which will provide us sustenance that week, and as I push it and stretch it, it turns into a healthy dough.

My kitchen is small, and once a week it gets sticky with honey and streaked with flour as we make our food. It is an exciting time to see all of the different creations formed and baked. There is blessing in it.

I cook to provide good, healthy food for my family and anyone else who happens to visit us during a meal. I am thankful that God has given us what we need to eat, and I believe that He is blessed by each lovingly made loaf of bread that comes out of the oven.

Karen's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
3/4 cup white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 dash salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 3/4 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. (Feel free to add a smidgen of extra vanilla here!)
2. On top of the wet ingredient, pile the flours, baking soda, and salt. Mix it all together.
3. Next stir in the oats and the chocolate chips.
4. Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes. (Try the shorter time first. If you bake these too long, they will be dry!)

I often estimate when I add ingredients, so it is difficult to write down a recipe! If you like these at all, feel free to change them and make them to your taste. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com