Sunday, October 31, 2010

The (Christian) Consumer's Responsibility

This post is going to complement my last post, but I wanted to approach the topic from a slightly different angle now. If you read my other post first, that would probably be good. If you have read it, here we go...!

As Christians in the United States, we spend a lot of our lives working at our jobs to make money and then consuming with that money. I think that the issue is avoided because it is intangible and complicated, but I honestly believe that God is interested in what we choose to spend our money on. I'm not talking about decisions about buying a new TV versus donating money to a charity. I'm talking about deciding which companies we should buy products from and what products we buy.

We can love people we don't know and will never meet by choosing one product over another. For example, by choosing Fair Trade and Child Slave Labor free products, you will be helping farmers across the world and denouncing harmful, hateful practices.

I only recently started to consider my consumer habits under the lens of God's love, and it has made a huge difference in my priorities and where my money goes. This is a passion of mine, and I hope that you find it significant enough to consider making some changes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com