Friday, September 17, 2010

Simple Living - The Great Food Adventure

About two months ago, Matthew and I started shopping differently. In my post on July 30th, I described the beginning of that change. At that time, I was expecting to do a fairly small fraction of my shopping at the co-op and most of the rest of it at Winco because I didn't think we could afford to buy much of the more expensive, organic goods. However, that's not how it turned out at all! I'd like to share my findings before school starts and things get crazy, so here we go!

First of all, in full disclosure, the budget that Matthew and I set was $300 a month for groceries including household items like dish soap, toothpaste, and the like. In August we easily met this budget (well, we spent less than $225 since we were at camp for the first week of the month). It is also looking like we are going to succeed again in September. Here's what we have been getting for our money...

At the co-op we buy all of our produce except when organic produce goes on sale at Fred Meyer. What we buy is organic, and a lot of it comes from the six counties surrounding and including our own. We also buy a lot of (mostly organic) bulk items including flour, oats, pasta, rice and beans. We buy cage-free eggs and milk from a local dairy farm. We find that we rarely need to buy packaged goods like canned food, but when we do, it is done at the co-op.

At Winco we mostly buy things that are carried at the co-op but are cheaper at Winco. For example, we get Nancy's yogurt and Tillamook cheeses. We also still buy cereal here because we buy big bags cheap, and the co-op unfortunately does not have this type of thing available. Besides an occasional item that the co-op does not carry, this is pretty much all we get here.

If you think that $300 is still a lot of money for food, realize that we only spend about $5 a day per person for all of our meals and snacks. For the quality, reduced exposure to dangerous chemicals, support for the local farmers, good treatment of the livestock that produce the food, support for environmentally friendly practices, and support for fair wages for anyone involved in the process of making products... I think that $5 is pretty amazing.

As a note, one big reason that we can afford to do this is that we cook much of our food from scratch. We generally make two different meals each week, and we eat a lot of leftovers. I also make home-baked breads, and we bake muffins or something else for snacks. However, I did this all before switching to the co-op... Even during the school year when spending 60-80 hours a week working. Admittedly, I do like cooking...

A second reason that we can afford to do this is that we have started to eat less meat. Currently, also at the co-op, we have decided to buy a small amount of lunch meat and 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken each month. I have successfully used tofu as a substitute a few times, and I also have found a bunch of good vegetarian recipes.

I don't know if more than two or three people read this, but I wanted to share my experiences because I feel like a lot of people would love to eat healthier, organic, local foods but don't think that they can afford it. I encourage you to try it out if you have ever wanted to. I'd be more than happy to share recipes, advice, or any other information that may be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Max said...

I don't know how long you're going to be around after this year, but the best way to get organic fruits and veggies is by getting a Farm Box (Denison's is our favorite, but Gathering Together Farms is popular too). It's about $20/week but you get enough for at least two people of amazing food every week for 26 weeks. And you directly support a local farm!

I think you're right -- people really balk at the price of buying a lot of your own organic groceries, but if you consider how infrequently you eat out as a result, it really saves. Forrest and I have an ongoing debate on the merits of bringing ones own lunch vs. eating at Qdoba every day...

Karen said...

Thanks for the your comment and suggestion! I learned about Farm Boxes (also called CSAs?) in Geo300. However, I didn't remember about that sort of program until around August when it was a bit late to join, I think. Hopefully wherever we move to in the next year or so will have something like that that we can join. Although, hopefully I'll eventually have a pretty good garden growing myself... :D I'm glad to hear that you have had good experiences with Farm Boxes!

Hahaha... I've sometimes wondered about Forrest's "monthly Qdoba bill" myself. If he ever reads these comments, he can read about two people thinking that he should pack a lunch to eat cheaper, good-for-people-and-the-planet food! ;)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com